Sunday, October 31, 2010

Kings Peak

I've wondered for a long time what Kings Peak was like, the tallest peak in Utah. What was it visually like? How was the approach to the peak and what did it feel like to be at the top? I got to discover Kings Peak, finally, this September at age 32 (don't know why I'm saying my age, just am)!The approach was amazing! It was a beautiful lush valley that went on for miles with a mellow gradient, that didn't get you tired until the saddle of Kings Peak. Camped at the base of the Saddle and woke up just in time to see the sunrise hitting the farthest points of the range.

After you climb the saddle you come to a second part that turns flat and you cross a boulder field until the next UP section.

Top of Kings Peak! At the top you can see directly South of you, "South Kings Peak," another high mountain that comes second in highest. Feeling gun-ho we hiked down and back up to the next peak which was really cool.

Top of South Kings Peak

Picking and wandering around the Uintah's after reaching the top of Kings Peak was one of my favorite things. I felt like a mountain goat.

The valley on the other side of the lower saddle. We choose a trail that walked right through it right back to camp. I'm happy that Kings Peak is no longer a mystery but I didn't mind it being a mystery because I had something to look forward to. What's next?

No comments: